Trabajando

My personal routine is about to change. For nearly a year, I’ve worked as a barista in a coffee shop. I have thrived there, and came to enjoy customer service for it’s structure and personal contact with the public. Time spent, and I’ve remembered my appreciation for work that is done away from the open front door.

Now, I’m beginning a role as an interactive designer with a company that manages and distributes digital advertising (so is my current understanding of what this company does). I’m excited, and very grateful these people saw value in the portfolio and experience I have shown. Intrinsic to their industry, and the company’s specific offering, is the demonstration of results. I intend to approach this work with as much sincerity and diligence as I can summon.

Prior to my time at the coffee shop, I had fulfilled the office worker’s fantasy of throwing the tie out the window and hitting the road. Aloft with the necktie were a significant revenue stream, professional momentum, and a sense of purpose. I have been making a gradual comeback, beginning with coffee and a few refresher courses in design and production. Re-entering an established creative space is a significant milestone for me on that path.

Part of my strategy to make this endeavor a sustainable one is to remain a barista on weekends; steaming lattes, mopping the floor, facing people and serving them. I believe that will keep me feeling humble and appreciative of both employers. The two jobs are so different, I believe I’ll alternatingly look forward to work on Mondays and Saturdays.

Ukelele Petting Zoo

MANDOLSD

There were wilted flowers on the table

car_guitar2

I recorded this on a child’s Disney Guitar.

Shuffle.js Pt. 2

A while back I wrote about how I shuffle the grid of images that make up my design portfolio . Something I wanted to do then, which I hadn’t, was to filter those entries into categories.

I recently wrote some more code that accomplishes that. Now the “Graphics” section of this site has a sub-menu that isolates four different disciplines. I’ve uploaded the work to Github at https://github.com/ohokphil/imgshuffle.

I found the Fisher-Yates shuffle method in a Stack Overflow discussion. It works really well and will shuffle the objects in any array.

So I created an array that stores an id, a hex color for rollovers, a thumbnail location, an image location, metadata, a text description, and a category for each image. I just call this array ‘portfolio[ ]‘. Then I wrote a function called showPort( ), that uses the document.write() method to write the shuffled image objects to the page; it runs on overy load and uses Fisher Yates to re-order the images on every refresh. It works, and that’s where I left it last time I worked on this.

Filtering out categories just required a few more basic steps. I created a sub-menu with four links to new pages for my categories. The categories I’m using are Typography, Illustration, Motion, and Photography. So I wrote four new functions similar to showPort(), except before writing the shuffled objects to the page, they extract the objects with that specified category with a for loop, and building a new array for that category using the push method. So there are four new pages identical to my index, except they run a different “show” function when they load. showTyp() for Typography, showIll() for Illustration, etc. I didn’t need any new PHP to accomplish this. Just copied and renamed files.

I think I have some useful code for other people at this point. But my grid is heavily dependent on a stylesheet that specifies my image hover appearance, as well as the text that appears when my users hover over an image, called ‘info’ in my object constructor. It has been a while since I wrote that stylesheet, and I think the last step would be extracting the styles that pertain to the grid from the rest of the site’s elements.

More due credit to Stack Overflow and it’s community: I didn’t know how to push objects into an array from within a function before this. The ‘push’ method was integral to building completely new arrays while parsing an existing array. I learned how to do it here.